A new recipe this month, especially to help you to cope with the fallout from the “Car-Owner Virus”!
2 Apples – core, then cut and or chop into about 8 pieces per apple.
1 teaspoon Bi-carb of soda
1 cup boiling water
125 grams Butter
1 cup (250 mls) sugar
1 teasp. Vanilla
1½ cups flour
Extra 60 grams butter (hold in reserve)
½ cup brown sugar
1-2 teaspoons milk
½ cup shredded coconut
- Finely chop apples and combine with water and Bi-carb. Cool until lukewarm.
- Cream butter and sugar til light and fluffy, then add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Sift in flour then add your chopped up apple. Mix. Pour into and cook for approx. 45 – 60 mins. Then…
- Combine extra butter, brown sugar, milk and coconut and stir over low heat
- Spread this last mixture over the cake and then cook for about 20 minutes.
- Let it cool, then Enjoy!
Note: This is a recipe given to me by a dear old lady from the ‘Outback’. One of the genuine old ‘bush cooks’. She wrote it out for me, I put it into my trip book in the Landy, then promptly forgot about it for about 25 years. The recipe may be a bit stale but I’m sure that the cake won’t be! I haven’t tried it but the it sounds delicious. You try it, and if it is good please drop the editor a line so that others can also take it to the bush with them.
- Neil Flower.